Implementing Servant Leadership
Over the years, we have developed a very simple, yet very effective way, to implement servant leadership. The steps are outlined below. Also found below is what we call a placemat, that conveniently lists the steps on one side, and a process approach for an organization to use, on the other side of a one-page document. For a more in-depth explanation of our process, please call or email us.
Step 1 - What is your purpose?
- A purpose statement answers the why. It inspires, excites, and energizes people. It will help to align the organization. It answers the question, How do you make the world a better place?
Step 4 - What is your vision?
- This is an inspiring statement of where you want to be.
Step 7 - Are you aligned?
- Do people's passions and their skills line up with your organization's needs?
Step 2 - Where are you? Where do you want to be?
- What is your current state? What do you want your future state to be? A SWOT analysis will helpful here.
Step 5 - What are your values in action?
- What is the evidence that you walk your talk?
Step 8 - What is your foundation?
- What words and phrases explain what is important to your organization?
Step 10 - Tasks to complete:
- Current tasks/goals
- Where are the gaps?
- What are the top priorities?
- How will they get done?
Step 3 - Whose shoulders do you stand on?
- What is your organization's story? What is its history?
Step 6 - What behaviors will you model?
- Leadership skills are learned by combining knowledge with action.
Step 9 - What is your leadership style?
- Does the current style support everything on this map? If not, what style will be adopted? Are there gaps that need to be addressed?